Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Blog Interview: Raleene Cabrera of www.raleene.com

raleenecabrera


1) What made you start a blog?

I started one in blogspot since I felt that not a lot of people had access to my multiply blog before. I also wanted to launch it again with better photos and content for my relatives and friends to read. I couldn't talk and keep a lot of people updated with my life online when I moved out for college. I also wanted people to view my photographs outside of Flickr. I bought my own domain and thought it would be a lot easier to direct them to one main site with all my info, links, etc.

2) When you first started blogging, what kind of readers were you expecting?

I didn't think anyone else (apart from my family and close friends, online friends) would read it since I didn't plan to advertise it. I wasn't as active on twitter since not a lot of people from the Philippines had one back then (2008) so I couldn't really spread the word about it. I didn't anticipate for my readers to increase in number, but I guess my friends forwarded my link or something. I wrote about my life, whereabouts, family... just because I thought only my friends would be able to read it. As soon as I noticed that random people were viewing and commenting, I felt like I had to write about things other people could relate to instead of writing things that were deemed too personal.

3) What is your strategy with your blog in general?

Post nice photos and write well. I never try to please anyone else but myself. I write for myself since I often look back on posts when I'm down, just to remind myself of how blessed I was to enjoy a lot of things. It's more of a public diary now than a photography/design blog. I also make sure to only blog/advertise things that I believe in.

4) Was it easy telling people how you feel through your page?

I still write what I feel, but I never really share too much. I've never been too emotional so that's never a problem for me. People can go through my blog without having to read through my posts, really. That's why I make sure that the photos can speak for themselves as well. I feel like the text is just something I add minutes before I publish something. I don't want my blog to be too overwhelming.

5) Any advice you would like to give the people who are thinking of starting a blog?

Do it for yourself and don't try to please people too much. It will feel like work once you establish your blog and gain more readership, so you should be prepared for that. Blogging's not as easy as it looks! Anyone can just start a blog, but it takes a lot to maintain one.

6) Name some of the bloggers you look up to and why?

Luxirare- her blog is so unique and her posts are always amazing! Very consistent and artistic in terms of photos and text without trying too hard.

Danielle Gonzalez (http://trustme-itsparadise.blogspot.com/)- Free-spirited without going overboard. I wish I could live a life like hers- 50% in the island, 50% in the city. And she's stylish, too!

Hannah Bacalla (http://blog.hannahbacalla.com/)- I've always been a fan of her photographs. (ever since I was in high school, I think) She can make anyone look like a model, even without the equipment.

Olivia (http://www.fashionsalade.com/lusttforlife/)- The first girl I've ever liked on lookbook... I don't follow a lot of fashion blogs, really. I just find her cute and again, I like her photos!

BJ (http://blog.bjpascual.com/)- he doesn't post much, but I like his photos and i like following the lives of some photographers. I got to know BJ just before he pursued photography so I guess I find it so cool and inspiring whenever I see that he's doing bigger projects every time he posts updates.

Vito Selma- he's not much of a blogger but he keeps us updated on twitter & Facebook. I look up to Vito since I'm an aspiring designer, too. I want to be able to work and travel the world like him in the future! His photos are always awesome.

Cybele Haaven (http://cybelehaaven.blogspot.com/)- because I wanna go to Europe someday and be able to produce pretty photos like her

Maddie Goldbeck (http://www.sillyinnocentgirl.blogspot.com/)- Because I wish I was as daring (in terms of clothes + hair) as her when I was younger!

I blog-hop each month and my faves list can change a lot. I get hooked to blogs with great photos. They don't have to be super glamorous and focused on fashion... I also like sites that look raw and unpretentious. :)

7) One word that best describes your blog?

Rainbow!!!

8) A message to The Purple Centipede?

Speak your mind!



RaleeneCabrerafansign

Photo Credits: http://www.raleene.com